It seems that there are times of the year where I barely watch any TV…and then there are other times where I’m following like 5 shows a week. I wanted to write a quick blog about the shows I currently watch and how I’m rating them. Some of them are rather new and others have been on for a while (and are dragging on a bit). Here we go.
1. True Blood : This is currently my favorite show on television. If you ask me, the second season so far is leaps and bounds better than the first. It combines a few of my favorite elements – horror movies (vampires), Alan Ball (creator of Six Feet Under & American Beauty), HBO Original Show (no ratings needed) along with a great cast and a storyline that keeps me coming back and wanting more every week. Sure it probably drives a lot of us crazy every week with their cliffhanger endings, but you have to admit, there’s not a boring moment in this show. That brings me to the next on the list…
2. Entourage : I’m really starting to drift away from this show. It’s like a music band that just doesn’t ever mature or change. Think of a band who’s music sounded the same 20 years ago as it does now. This show has been really getting stale lately. Maybe it’s the lack of new characters? Maybe it’s just stuck in a rut? I can’t really put my finger on it but this show is fading away. I hope they can somehow change it up – especially considering that this is not the last season (could it be far away?)
3. Weeds : There have been moments during last season and this season where I felt this show was losing it, however the past couple of episodes have sucked me back in. I think one thing I really liked in the storyline was that they didn’t build up to Nancy having the baby in the final episode of the season and instead it was induced upon us (and Nancy too). My two favorite characters are still Andy & Doug. They always have a great line no matter how weird an episode is. I’m hoping this show will find it’s way back into the spotlight…however I’m not giving up on it just yet.
4. Nurse Jackie : This show is a relatively new comer. Of course we all know how great an actress Edie Falco is. One of my favorite directors – Steve Buscemi has been directing a lot of the episodes as well. I find a lot of the characters on this show likable and I think it’s an interesting take on an emergency room drama. I recommend this one if you haven’t checked it out yet. (Is it just me or is it really kind of ironic that Edie is having an affair with the guy who played the priest on the Sopranos in this show? )
5. Mad Men : This show returns on August 16th. Matthew Weiner has created a really interesting universe with this show. It sucked me in since the first episode and I really can’t say it’s bored me or lost me yet. Really looking forward to what they come up with for the new season. Great filmmaking, acting & writing all around.
6. Dexter : Ever since the first season of this show, I always wonder what they would do next. I enjoyed the second and third season. I’m looking forward to seeing John Lithgow playing ‘the Trinity Killer’ in this new season and how Dexter is adjusting to his new life as a married man and father. I can always tell that I like a show when I keep wondering how the show will end. My theory on this one has always been that Dexter’s sister – Deb – will be the one who nabs him as the killer and (in tragic form) will be the one to end his murdering spree…butttt you never know with this show. Will Dexter get away in the end? I’m gonna stay tuned – season 4 returns September 27th.
Well that’s my round up of shows I’m currently either addicted to and/or still watching. What’s on your list?